Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Stunning Antique Empire Dining Set

I came across this gorgeous antique flame mahogany dining table in a barn in Cheshire a few weeks ago. It was in remarkably good condition, the top needed to be redone, but otherwise, it was perfect. I love the lines. So sleek and smooth and elegant. I had to hang on to it for a few weeks because I was waiting for the right chairs. I knew as soon as I saw the set of five solid mahogany dining chairs that it was a match made in heaven. The period and style are perfect for each other. I love how the graceful angle of the shield back on the chairs mimics the round scrolls of the table base. You can't find quality furniture like this anymore. The reproductions are all made of cheap materials, and that flame mahogany is drop dead beautiful! I sanded and stained the table top, kept the color pretty close to the original to really let the wood grain shine. I painted the table base and the chairs a soft antique white. The chairs were reupholstered in a cream sack cloth. This could be a showpiece in any home, modern or antique! Before and afters below, and this one's on craigslist, so feel free to let me know if you're interested!
















1 comment:

  1. Anonymous9/02/2012

    I'm intersested in purchasing the dinning set. Please contact me at nursehoop@hotmail.com

    Thanks
    Deb

    ReplyDelete