Monday, June 16, 2014

An Antique Kitchen Island

You know how I love my kitchen islands. It takes a special piece to be good enough to be transformed into one. I look for antique dressers with lots of character, and with paneled sides and backs, and they have to be the right height. This dresser that I got at the flea market was the perfect candidate. I added a new beautiful pine top, removed the drawers and added visible storage and painted the interior and exterior in a sleek black. This dresser also has a cool history, it still had it's original shipping label from the Chamber Furniture Company of Richford Vermont. I'd say it probably dates to about 1910. The entire piece is solid oak, and the top and shelves I added are solid pine. It's so sweet and perfect for a small to mid-size kitchen.

*Before*




*After!*











3 comments:

  1. Beautiful transformation Kate. I always love to see a painted finish mixed with a stained finish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it...going to try to find an old dresser and copy your idea...thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excited to see this. I'm working on an almost identical dresser. Only at the primer stage but will post pictures when done.

    ReplyDelete