Wednesday, July 1, 2015

An Antique China Hutch in Blue

First, sorry it's been a week since I posted! We've had a spat of bad weather here in Connecticut and I only like to photograph pieces on sunny days. On the plus side, I got lots of things done yesterday and I have loads of new pieces to share with you!
         I bought this gorgeous antique bow front china hutch Monday morning and got right to work on it. I adore the elegant curved lines and the dentil molding across the top. I painted the exterior in a custom mixed cornflower blue and the interior in a custom mixed hazy pale blue called 'Sunday Morning'. I highlighted all the detailed wood work on across the top and waist molding with the lighter color, giving the piece a fresh Swedish country look. The pulls are original but recolored, and I swapped the boring knobs out for pieces with a little more character. The piece is dated on the inside of the case, February 21st, 1951- so that's pretty neat too!














No comments:

Post a Comment