Tuesday, July 21, 2015

An Antique Farmhouse Dining Set

        I just adore this set. First, it's a farm table of the highest caliber, and who doesn't love a good farm table! Second I initially bought this set of five solid oak antique chairs from a barn sale in Portland, CT for myself. I love their thick solid lines and boldly carved backs. In the end I went with a set of four Queen Anne chairs for my dining room, which freed these up to be paired, oh so perfectly, with this antique table. The entire set dates to c.1915-1935. The table is walnut with a most miraculous walnut veneer top, a single drawer, and a terrific original brass knob.

      I sanded, stained, and sealed the top of the table, and was delighted with how well it turned out. I painted the table base, legs, and chairs in a custom mixed spring green called Pale Hosta, very lightly distressed, and sealed with a dark wax.
     
     So I actually sold this set before I even had a chance to blog about it. A wonderful family from Boston came down to see the antique green secretary and spotted the set peeking out from the depths of my over filled workshop. They're putting both the dining set and the secretary in the kitchen of their Victorian home, which is basically the best thing ever!!









No comments:

Post a Comment