Wednesday, July 1, 2015

A Handsome Antique Solid Mahogany Desk

I just adore this desk, in fact I'm sitting at it right now while I write this blog post, looking out on the garden and guest house in the summer sun (I love love love my job!). The desk is solid mahogany with an intensely dramatic mahogany veneer top. It's sturdy as a rock and beautifully built. I'd date it to about 1910-1930. I sanded, stained, and sealed the top, because my God, it's so gorgeous. I painted the case in a custom mixed cornflower blue chalk paint, distressed, and sealed with dark wax. I left the drawer pulls in their original patina, but applied a dark wax and buffed them, just to brighten them a bit. It's a great large desk, perfect for a person who likes to craft, or spread out, or, if you popped casters on it, it would make a killer kitchen island, as it's finished on all four sides.











No comments:

Post a Comment