Sunday, July 26, 2015

A Vintage Hutch in Black and Pale Yellow

Here's a lovely vintage hutch that I just refinished for a client. It came down through her husband's family and was the only piece they had from that family line, so I knew it was very special to them. I forgot to take a before photo but you can kind of imagine, it was a faded opaque maple stain all over. The bottom shelf had warped and one of the top drawers had a broken lip. I braced the warped shelf and fixed it quite nicely. I also fixed the broken lip, fully removing the broken part, sanding it flat, cutting and adding a new lip, filling it, and sanding it until smooth before painting. I sanded, stained, and sealed the top to show off the gorgeous wood grain, painted the case black, painted the backboard and interior in a pale yellow, distressed and waxed it, and recolored the hardware.










No comments:

Post a Comment