Thursday, April 11, 2013

Fun with Architectural Salvage

There should be a bumper sticker on my bright yellow truck that reads "I break for junk". Cause I do, frequently. One of the things I'm keeping an eye out for right now is a stack of antique shutters. This is just the time of year when people take them off their old houses and just cast them aside to the curb. I'm going to use them as closet doors. We have two large closets in the master bedroom, and each has two door openings. Currently I've got some very cute fabric hung curtain style in the door openings, but that's just until I find the right (free) shutters to put in there. We'll also be using an antique barn door, which I've already acquired, as a sliding door to the walk-in closet off the bathroom.
Yes, it would be easier and quicker to use new doors for both these projects, but where's the fun in that?? Doors are expensive and my antique barn door was free, and I'm hoping the shutters will be too. On top of that, what better way to add instant character to a home than with a bit of architectural salvage!
       People often ask for advice on how to add a little more character and soul to their newly constructed house. I know that can be tricky. Houses built these days can look cookie cutter and blah. The best solution? You guessed it, architectural salvage. You can do it in a big way- with a permanent installation like an antique door or salvaged wood plank floors, or in a little way- just a pretty antique window leaned over a sideboard, or a couple shutters hung in a dining room as art.
Here's about a million pictures of all kinds of clever uses for architectural salvage.
Happy Thursday!
This beautiful dining room gets a little extra edge from a neat row of antique shutters hung as art. Stunning!

Start simple with a beautiful little planter made from salvaged ceiling tiles.

Go whole hog with a phenomenal antique window (probably from a church) that's been converted into an ultra dramatic mirror. I see giant pieces like this at auction sometimes, but they're always quite pricey.

How sweet is this little gothic panel that's been given a second life as a garden gate!

I saw this door on craigslist yesterday for $150. I wish I had a spot for it in my house. I just love it!

Nice and simple- just hang a couple antique ceiling tiles over a headboard.

I see gorgeous antique windows like this all over the place- often for under $10. Look how fabulous they look over a sideboard.

Why not use and antique metal grate as a clever and useful pot rack!

I love the look of antique columns in a modern space. Two downsides though- you need pretty high ceilings, and if you have cats, dogs, or kids- this may be a little precarious.

This is such a pretty kitchen with multiple examples of architectural salvage. An antique window hung over the modern one, a vintage tin tile back splash, and I bet that beautiful sink it salvage too. 

I love this bathroom. The wrought iron grate used as vanity support is inspired, and the chipped paint cabinet doors  serve as storage and wall art all in one!

Another great use of antique windows on a simple yet elegant mantle.

The door on the right is very similar to what our antique barn door slider will look like in the bathroom leading into the walk in closet. 

This bedroom is such a handsome mix of modern and eclectic elements. The stunning barn door headboard is the star of the show.


No comments:

Post a Comment