Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Antique Barn Board Topped Rolling Kitchen Island

I love converting 19th century sideboards into kitchen islands. Each piece is a little different, and I try to adjust size and height accordingly to accommodate a variety of kitchen needs and lifestyles. I put this sideboard up on big casters so it could be the perfect mobile work station for a petite kitchen. The nice thing about these 19th century sideboards is that they always have beautiful paneled backs that are just as attractive as the fronts. This makes them especially suited to be islands since they'll be viewed from all sides. This sideboard has the added detail of stunning Eastlake style floral carved drawer fronts and spectacular original stamped brass drawer pulls.
I painted the piece in a soft linen white and then used a mahogany tinted wax to give the paint surface depth and make the carvings really pop. I added a boldly grained barn board top as they make tremendous kitchen island work surfaces. The top has been sanded, sealed, and is smooth as glass.
I'll be adding this island to craigslist this afternoon so feel free to email me if you'd like first dibs on it.
KateAveryDesign@yahoo.com
*Before*











1 comment:

  1. You brought this piece back to life. It looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete