Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Beautiful Distressed Barn Board Sideboard

Good Morning! I was busy all day yesterday completing some projects to show you. This is a great antique oak bowfront sideboard c.1900-1920. I picked it up when I bought my lovely little settee for our master bedroom. The sideboard was sturdy as a rock but definitely needed some cosmetic work. Someone had tried to strip the top at some point, and not done a very good job. That was fine with me though, because I knew this piece was just begging for a barn board top. Luckily, I had two perfect early 19th century boards left from a cache that I bought a long time ago and had been saving for just the right piece. I sanded them, attached them, stained and sealed. The top is so lovely now. I shaped the front corners with my jig saw to give the top even more interest.
I painted the case of the piece a soft antique cream, over an earlier white, then distressed the piece to give it a cool vibe. I waxed and buffed the whole thing to give the paint surface durability. The copper drawer pulls compliment the multi layer paint surface. Even better- the entire bottom drawer is 100% cedar lined. Perfect for storing whatever you treasure.
Before and afters below- this one is available, so shoot me an email if you're interested!













No comments:

Post a Comment