Tuesday, July 9, 2013

An Industrial Kitchen Island

If you read this blog with any frequency you know how much I love kitchen islands, and know how much I especially love islands that started life as something else. This sweet little island is the perfect example. It started life as an industrial work bench. I picked it up myself from a 19th century mill in Stafford Springs Connecticut. The mill has just been purchased after standing unused for some time, and the new owner is clearing out a lot of the stuff to make room for condos and shops. This workbench probably dates to the mid 20th century. In the 'before' pictures you can see how it was marked "walkie talkie dept" too funny! I scrubbed it clean, primed and painted it a fresh black, and added a wonderful barn board top. The incredibly chunky casters are original to the piece. The whole thing is built like a rock- just how an industrial antique should be. It's a nice small size too- perfect to add just the right amount of counter space in a kitchen!
Before and After pictures below. This one is for sale so shoot me an email if you're interested!


















5 comments:

  1. This is terrific! Love the casters and the wood top!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really pretty and great presentation. I will send you a picture of the cedar chest you refinished which I am now using as a living room table.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is an amazing transformation....love the color of the wood top. Your display is great too...makes me want it for myself!

    Jamie | andersonandgrant.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete