Tuesday, May 27, 2014

An Elegant French Country Dining Set

I've refinished a lot of dining sets. And looking back on all those different sets, all those different styles, I have definite favorites. This dining set is one of my favorites. In fact, this dining set might be my absolute favorite. It's a vintage set made by the Hickory Company of North Carolina, probably around 1960. The set includes six solid pecan chairs, and the most amazing pecan veneer table. So what makes this one of my favorite sets? Well, it's almost certainly the highest quality dining table set I've ever worked on. The attention to detail is phenomenal. The chairs are all built SO WELL, with turned and curved stretchers. The chair cushions are seriously cushy. The caning on the backs is flawless- and look at those ears on the armchairs. So pretty. And then there's the table- that basket weave inlay veneer on the top is stunning. I love the curve of the cabriole legs, and the scalloping of the apron, which continues through the leaves as well. And finally, all six chairs fit well and look great no matter if you have no leaves in the table, one leaf, or both- Soooo many options! It was such a pleasure to refinish, an honor really. Before and after pictures below!

*Before*


*After!*


















1 comment:

  1. It's beautiful!!! It would be my favorite too!!!!

    ReplyDelete