Saturday, November 30, 2013

So I Took a Stab at Upholstering

I tried upholstering once before- several years ago, on a wing chair I inherited from my parents. It didn't end well at all. It was simply catastrophic. I've steered clear of anything more than recovered seats for dining sets since. I'd really really like to learn though, and I figured a good way to ease my way in would be with a fairly simple project. I picked up this antique settee and chair set at my local consignment shop over the summer. I've been sloooowly picking away at the project here and there since. I do so much refinishing for other people that it's hard for me to justify working on something for myself without feeling guilty. But here's the set finally completed!
        I think we can all agree I am still very much in my gold phase. I dry brushed the frames of the chairs with an oil based gold paint. I wanted them to have a slightly aged look, and to have the wonderful carvings remain dark to pop more. I removed the ugly old-lady floral seat covers, which was insanely hard, luckily I was watching Tangled whilst desperately trying to tug the old fabric away- so it wasn't too unpleasant. I recovered the chairs with a velvet fabric somewhere between mossy green and gold, and then used gold piping to finish it. It was surprisingly easy all in all- though in retrospect, my piping really should be a bit straighter...but I'd had two glasses of wine at that point, so close enough.
Next up I want to try a chair like the one pictured all the way at the bottom- with an upholstered seat and back.
Happy Saturday!
before and sooo ho hum
Oh my god and those horrible floors on my porch. Someday soon we're gonna put in pine floors in there. Not soon enough.

After and very Golden Delicious!













6 comments:

  1. I love it! I would have never thought to pair the gold with that fabric but it looks wonderful. Congrats.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12/03/2013

    That sort of rustic fabric looks great with the finish, because of the way you have the details darker than the gold. Hard to explain why I like it, but I like it! Thanks for sharing at my "Olde" party :) -Dawn @ We Call It Junkin.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous. You did an amazing job. Thanks tons for linking to Inspire Me. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous12/07/2013

    Well done! I love your choices for these pieces!
    Smiles!
    Terry

    ReplyDelete
  5. So beautiful! Love the golden... it's so soft and lovely! I'm featuring it in this week's PoPP Spotlight.

    ReplyDelete