Monday, May 6, 2013

New Acquisitions

It was a super good flea market yesterday. Lots and lots of vendors, tons of cool stuff, and the weather was perfect. I had a pretty good week last week, so I allowed myself to indulge just a wee bit, and pick up a few things that were not strictly for refinishing projects- though I also got something to refinish as well. Anything I bought for myself has prices included in the captions. I hope your week is off to a terrific start! I'll be finishing a big project today, and will have pictures to share with you by the evening.
I got these lovely antique cherry dining chairs to refinish. I'll need to find the perfect table for them now.

Just look at the elegant lines of the arm chair. Soooo pretty.

You may remember that I was looking for one more vintage or antique stool for my barn door desk in the guest room. This was EXACTLY what I was looking for. It probably dates to the 1920s and I think it's about the prettiest thing ever. I got it for $25.


There was a gal at the flea market with a wonderful assortment of antique and vintage paintings. As soon as I saw this on one of her tables, I knew I had to have it. Luckily, it was only $10. The price was so fair, I didn't even try to haggle.

I think it's about 50-60 years old.


I got this wonderful antique sign for $18. It's double sided and still has it's original hangers. I think it dates to about 1920-1940. A sign like this would be $200-$400 at an auction or antiques show. I got a really good deal.

I love the old lettering on it.

And here's the real prize of the day. This mirror is over 4ft tall. It weighs some where around 9000lbs.  You should have seen me try to carry it upstairs last night. I almost died. I think it dates to the 1960s or so. You WILL NOT believe how much I spent for this. I figured it was going to be so much that I thought twice about even asking the price. He wanted $30, and I got it for $25. That's mind blowing right? $25 for that mirror. A new one of that size at Homegoods would be a couple hundred dollars at least.


And here it is hanging in the master bedroom. It's the perfect spot and I spent sometime yesterday evening just sitting on the bed admiring it. It's one of my favorite scores from the flea market ever.

It really adds a little glamour to the room.

aaaaand there I am in my running clothes- Hi!

So I hung the vintage oil painting right by the toilet in the upstairs bathroom. There was no art in the bathroom before, and I feel very strongly that every room should have art in it. See the cupboard by the toilet? I got that at Brimfield last fall. I put a nice barn board top on it, painted it white, and scrubbed all the drawer pulls clean.


Look at that flashy wood work that my husband did. Pretty spiffy huh.


And here's my stool at the antique barn door desk.

I like it so well that I think I'm going to swap out the other more industrial stool for something more like this one.


1 comment:

  1. Hi Kate: Gorgeous mirror... and I thought that you weren't going to haggle when the price is right? I guess, you learned that later on? so, did I... I am still sorry,I didn't buy a couple of the lamps that had rose stands and the lady wanted $5 a piece.. oh, well, live and learn...the mirror is stunning... perfect.

    OK, I have to ask, do you sleep at night? You seem to be involved in ten million things, refurbishing the furniture that takes hours and hours, antiques hunting and looking, running, writing a blog, and all other social media... my goodness.

    ReplyDelete