Wednesday, October 26, 2011

What I keep

These days about 85% of what I buy, I purchase in order to re-sell. The other 15%- well those are things I just cannot stand to part with, for any price. Those are the things that speak to me. They may not necessarily be the best, oldest, or most valuable pieces, but something about them and I just know that every time I see them in my house, it will make me happy. I encourage you all to fill your homes with items like this. Your home should contain things that are meaningful and beautiful to you. This does not mean you have to spend a lot of money on your furnishings- most of the things I keep and love are relatively cheap. And love is a fickle thing, you may change your mind down the road. I certainly do. Most items last about 3 years in my house before I rotate them out (sell them) and buy something new (old that is, never actually new).
                Sooo, if that was a bit circuitous, here are some visual aides to help. These are things I've bought in the last 2 months that I intend to keep. And since I'm keeping them, I can tell you how much I spent (which is fun!). None of these items are currently on the main floor in the decor. They're all being stored in my workshop, waiting to be taken out for the Holiday decor next week. I can hardly wait to pull them onto the floor because they are so. freaking. beautiful.
I got this little antique table at the flea market. I love the old aqua colored paint on it- and the splayed legs. I think it's probably from the 1920s or 30s- but it was definitely made as a "make-do" piece, so it's hard to date accurately. But that's the best part- a make-do rustic table, but they went ahead and painted it bright turquoise. $8.
(I talked the dealer down from $10)

Just another shot so you can see the shaped top. Super cute!

My boss (I have arguably the best boss in the world) got me this chair as a gift at the most recent Antiques show our business did. It's an 18th century Connecticut side chair, and probably dates from about 1770-1790. That makes it one of the oldest items in my house. The carriage striping paint is a 19th century addition. It's totally solid, but about as comfortable as a straw bed.

I got this pretty little mission oak picture frame at the flea market. It's in perfect condition and
probably dates to 1900-1915. I'm going to put a white matted vintage Christmas card in it for the holiday decor. $4 (talked them down from $5).

I'm a sucker for painted furniture (especially tables!). The white stool/table on the left was from a barn sale, which is just a tag sale in a barn. Barn sales usually have great stuff and are my favorite. The stool was $1, and I'll put a delicate little tabletop christmas tree on it in the corner of my dining room. The other light green table is quite old, possibly 19th century, and also a farm/rustic piece. I adore it, and will be using it as a side table in my family room- it was $12 (talked the dealer down from $15).

just a close up. Look at the smashing old light green paint.

This was a bit more than I usually spend on ANYTHING ($30 from a tag sale).  It's a victorian dresser with...wait for it.... a soapstone top. Holy god how wonderful! I've been looking for a stone topped dresser since February. They're always crazy expensive, and I thought I would have to settle for marble. I've never even seen a soapstone one! Love at first sight. It will be in my dining room, and may be one of the few pieces I will keep forever. I painted it my favorite color- light springy green, and painted all the insides of the drawers white. 

It's on casters (LOVE) and it has c. 1940s white enamel drawer pulls. It just exudes freshness. It's perfect.

The moment I saw this at the flea market, I knew I would buy it, no matter the price. Luckily the price was insanely reasonable ($15), but I'm a haggler, so I talked the guy down to $12. hah! It's double sided and dates to the 1950s or 60s. I'm going to put in on a white shelf in my kitchen. Appropriate non?

Weird right? Well, they're crab traps. Vintage ones (no they don't smell). I got them for $3 each at a tag sale. I have no idea how they will fit in my decor. I got them after I drew up my christmas floor plans. They're so funky and sculptural. If I knew anything about lighting, I would turn them into a pair of hanging lamps...someday maybe! Eat your heart out Pottery Barn, I know you'll have a  repro set in your spring catalog.

Great rusty milk bottle carrier. I dunno what I'll do with it. It was just too cool to pass up, and it was $2. 

Completely out of my normal buying strategy. I saw it at the flea market in August and had an instant image of it up on a table with christmas presents in the sweet little basket. Its got great emerald green paint and I love the rusty seat. $35. but well worth it. Such a sweet little thing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment