Tuesday, April 5, 2016

An Antique Oak Cupboard in Yellow

It's winter outside. I'm not sure how it happened, but I'm not at all surprised. When it was sixty degrees in January, I knew winter would catch up with us eventually. You can delay miserable weather in New England, but you don't get to skip it all together. And it's a damn shame it's choosing to be winter now, in April, and after so many weeks of warmth. Everything everything EVERYTHING is dying under the snow and bitter cold. All the magnolia trees, which had just foolishly started blooming, have turned brown and wilted. All the new forsythia blooms are coated with ice. I imagine I won't have much of a garden this year, that is if it ever warms up again, and if this snow and ice ever melts. If you can't tell, I'm all but heart broken, and one more unseasonably cold day and I think I might just pack up and move south. To hell with ice and snow.

           So enough with that rant. Here's a very neat piece that I got on Sunday and simply could not wait to get started on. It's an antique c.1915 oak side-by-side cupboard, a form I've never encountered before. Since it's horrible and cold outside, I made it as springy as possible. I painted the case in a custom mixed creamy and cheerful yellow named 'Afternoon Glow', and painted the interior and knobs in cream. Finally, I painted winding branches of blooming magnolia in the corners of the door, both because I felt the simple lines required a little something extra, and because I am, if you couldn't tell, quite distressed about the loss of this year's magnolia blooms.

           This is one of those excellently versatile pieces, and would be brilliant in a bathroom, in a bedroom, or really anywhere that one might need extra storage. All the shelves are adjustable too, and it comes with the original working skeleton key!











2 comments:

  1. Furniture become ART! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhhh a beautiful springtime view! We also still have snow.

    ReplyDelete