Wednesday, February 17, 2016

A Mahogany China Hutch in Cream an Amethyst

Here's a lovely little antique mahogany hutch I had the privilege to refinish for my best friend Jess. She's a pretty active collector of my furniture, and has been waiting for the perfect hutch to add to her dining room. I knew as soon as I saw this one a couple weeks ago that she had to have it. She and I had actually been planning to go see a midcentury modern hutch the very next day, but when I sent her the pictures of this little doll she agreed completely and immediately, this was the hutch for her!
         Jess knew she wanted cream for the outside but wasn't sure what direction to go for the interior, though she was sure it would be a fun pop of color. We settled on amethyst, a gorgeous color that shows up here and there in the decor of her lovely mid century cape. I custom mixed a shade without too much pink, and deep enough to be sophisticated but still playful. The exterior is also a custom mixed shade of cream, rich and warm, with loads of character. I kept the original round drop pulls but recolored them in a bright gold. Finally, I distressed and dark waxed all the painted surfaces.








No comments:

Post a Comment