Last week I got a rather woe begotten antique mahogany secretary at auction. It's a very simple, straight forward piece- Not all the bells and whistles like the secretary I refinished just after Christmas. It's fairly old though, I'd say about 1930, and I really liked the lines and petite size.
|about halfway through stripping.|
It needed work, lots and lots of work. First, it had the most coats of paint I've ever seen on a piece of furniture. There was a coat of cream, followed by a red, a yellow, a gray, a black, a white, and finally a thin pale blue. Some had been applied well, others not so much. It was too much paint, so I had to strip the entire thing, which took a while with the heat gun.
After I got the case stripped I filled and gouges or bumps, sanded it down for a smooth finish, prepped for paint. I intentionally left the old paint on the drawer fronts and the lid front so I could allow layer after amazing layer to peek through when I distressed it.
I had an inspiration piece that I just happened to spot after I'd stripped the secretary but before I'd applied the paint. I knew I wanted to get this piece looking as close as possible to the antique piece.
And here's the final product!
Cross Posted With: