Wednesday, November 4, 2015

An Antique Dresser in Gray

Oh I do adore this piece. I love it so much that even though I was losing the light, and my camera battery died, and then as I was editing the photos and realized I didn't take a picture of the newly refinished top, which is possibly the best part, I'm still posting it tonight. Because the hell with it, I'm too excited to wait any longer to show you this dresser!! I'll add another picture of the top tomorrow when my camera is recharged and the sun comes back. On a side note, I'm three days into daylight savings time and already disgusted with the short days. It'll be a miracle if I make it to March with sanity intact.

So I bought this dresser on Sunday and set to work on it as soon as I got home. I refinished the top, which was dark and thick with yucky shellac and I patched a few places the veneer was starting to get disagreeable. Otherwise the dresser was in surprisingly nice condition considering it's age, I'd say right around 100 years. The drawers work beautifully, the case is nice and sturdy, and the mirror has its original glass. Also, those carvings on the top drawer and the mirror crest! And the original cast brass basket of flower drop ring pulls!! This dresser is the cat's pajamas and then some. I painted it in the palest shade of gray and highlighted the pulls and the carvings with just a hint of gold, distressed, and sealed with dark wax.










No comments:

Post a Comment