Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Connecticut Spring Antiques Show- Highlights Tour Part One

On Sunday I worked for my day job at our booth at the Connecticut Spring Antiques Show in Hartford. The firm I work with is one of only a handful that has done the show for the full 40 years that it's been open. This year the show moved back to the spectacular Hartford Armory building for the first time in a decade. The best part of the Armory is that the soaring ceiling (it must be 60 feet up) is all glass skylights, so it's like seeing the antiques in full natural daylight- what a thrill!
          When I told my mom that I was planning to go early to take pictures for the blog she requested that I photograph lots of different stuff, and not just my favorites- so I tried to get a good mix of the best from a lot of different categories. In the end, my biases probably won out, though, because as I flip through my pictures I see more than a fair amount of antique signs, weathervanes, and landscape paintings- but oh well. I tried!
         I've divided the pictures up into two posts because I took soooo many pictures. Do you have any favorites? My favorite is the large banner weathervane.
"Along the Ridge" - George Glenn Newell (1870-1947)

Sweet little pair of antique watercolor botanical studies.

Set of six matching fatback Windsor chairs branded on the underside of the eat "E. Tracy" and made in the shop of Ebenezer Tracy of Lisbon, CT.

Fantastic architectural eagle in old white paint.

I always like antique sign letters. They're so appealing.

Because there's nothing worse than an exploding lamp!

Stunning Jeweler's trade sign, Late 19th or early 20th century.

Adorable paint decorated highchair- mid 19th century.

Intricately painted fireboard, made to look like delft tile.

Incredibly intricate salvaged Federal mantle.

Handsome 19th century side table in a beautiful mustard paint.

Nice miniature watercolor profile.

I love this multicolored rooster weathervane. What a statement! The original gilding probably wore off in the first 25 years or so, and around 1900 someone took it upon themselves to re-paint the rooster with these great bright colors.

Maybe it's just me, but I thought this guy was pretty cute.

Amazing 18th century door in the tradition of French architecture, and probably from Quebec.

The art of cut paper, also known as scherenschnitte. It was popular in the early to mid 19th century, and especially in the Mid Atlantic states. This is a particularly fine example.

An outstanding painted blanket chest.

Massive cutting board. Would look great hanging on the wall in a country kitchen.

Early 19th century corner cupboard in a wonderful rich mustard color.

I really liked this grocer trade sign. Nice big size and everything. The horse weathervane though, looks like the horse is on it's last leg...

This outstanding bedspread has the most delicate and delightful floral embellishment

My pick of the show- this gooooorgeous banner weathervane.

18th century blanket chest in a wonderful duck egg blue.

A mourning picture, likely done by a young lady in school between 1800-1825. This one is notably bright colored and detailed. 

Antique needlework sampler is excellent condition.

Fascinating collection of small ivory household objects- most dating from the mid 19th century.

Needlework sampler, also completed by a young lady while in school. This one is dated to 1801.


No comments:

Post a Comment