Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Queen Anne in Ink Blue

This is my new favorite. I LOVE how this vintage solid oak Queen Anne desk/buffet turned out. It was cute to begin with, so curvy, deliciously leggy, and I knew the oak, hidden under a yucky honey varnish, had loads of potential. I snatched it up straight away at the flea market on Sunday morning. Since my truck was on the outs, my friend Carl was nice enough to swing by with it later in the day.

         I kept the original bail brass pulls because they suit the piece so nicely. I sanded and re-stained the top in a deeper warmer tone, then sealed it to glossy perfection. But really for me, this piece is all about the paint surface. I really wanted this effect and it worked out just as planned (such a rare thing in furniture refinishing!). I custom mixed a ridiculous shade of peacock blue that I've named 'Shake a tail feather', and painted the entire desk with two coats of it. I then applied a rich inky blue named 'Deep Dark'. I distressed the entire thing hard, 80 grit to remove more paint, 220 grit for the softer effects, then sealed it with my custom made dark wax to further deepen the color, seal the paint, and make the whole thing smooth as a baby's bottom. Blue's not really my color but my oh my I think this table is sooooo yummy!









No comments:

Post a Comment