Thursday, April 9, 2015

A Rustic Bookcase in Pine and Poplar

There are few things as satisfying as bringing an old piece of furniture back from the brink. This sorry hutch had one foot in the fire pit and the other on a banana peel. I wasn't sure what could be done to save it, but there was so much potential that I gave it my best shot. The doors and shelves were warped and beyond salvation. I removed them and added pine shelves and a new pine top to the base. I sanded the tulip poplar case to remove the last remnants of veneer, and then painted it in a rich dark navy. To contrast with the dark exterior and the wood shelves, I painted the interiors in bright fresh white. I kept the original hardware on the drawer, which surprisingly still opens and closes quite nicely, and the piece still has its original skeleton key and working lock. I removed the opaque sheet of plastic (why was that even there?!) and the ugly vintage copper grate from the glass door as well.  It's a pretty dramatic before and after!












No comments:

Post a Comment