Monday, April 27, 2015

A Coastal Cottage Hutch

Sometimes we all need a little kick in the pants. I was going to slack on this piece and only refinish the bottom portion as a sideboard, but one of my clients stopped by the workshop, saw the top, and insisted I refinish the entire piece. He was right, and it was the motivation I needed to take this hutch the whole nine yards. It's a great vintage oak piece but I was turned off by the mirrored backing on the top. I was able to unscrew the entire backboard, remove the mirrors, and reattach it for painting. I did the interiors in a custom mixed shade of antique mocha. The exterior is a custom mixed bright mint with a little hint of aqua. The drawer pulls are awesome and original, but I re-colored them in a darker teal to mimic oxidation on old copper. I distressed the piece and sealed it with dark wax. I staged it in fresh yellows with some vintage plates (that I found last year on the side of the road!) antique stoneware, a couple of my flower paintings, and a healthy dollop of antique and vintage glassware from my personal collection.















The Dedicated House

1 comment:

  1. This is fantastic! What a transformation!

    ReplyDelete