Thursday, June 2, 2016

An Antique Pine Dresser in Mustard Yellow

So as opposed to the tiger oak dresser I just showed you, this dresser, which I also finished today, needed to be re-built basically from the ground up. It's solid pine, cottage style, and made right around 1850-1875. It's got great lines and had so much potential, but man, it was in dire need of an overhaul. The backboard was basically gone, and without its stability the piece had had a bad sway for god knows how long, and the more it swayed, the loser the case got. Also, after a hundred and fifty years the original glue was all but gone, so ever single drawer guide had to be re-attached, and every single drawer bottom had to be re-set and nailed.

        And after hours of structure work, and a brand spanking new backboard, I decided to go whole hog and paint it in a crazy color that I like, but might be too scary for some of you. But tough shit, I love mustard yellow and with this dresser, I feel like I earned a little self indulgence. And it looks wicked awesome in the mustard, right???

       I kept the original drawer pulls and lightly distressed and waxed the case to seal it. I normally sand, stain, and seal my dresser tops, but I know that this one was originally painted top to bottom, so it felt right to keep that style now.







2 comments:

  1. Looks great to me, love the rooster!! You go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the yellow- is it annie sloan? I have been looking for a good yellow would you be so kind to share the paint kind and color?

    ReplyDelete