Wednesday, June 10, 2015

An Antique Hutch with Damask Stenciling

This lovely antique hutch came from the nicest couple out in Cheshire last week. It's custom for a client who's become a dear friend. We went with a beautiful warm yellow for the exterior and I choose a soft sage green for the interior brightened by damask stencil in gold then hand highlighted with pale yellow and burnt sienna. I highlighted the fine woodwork of the exterior with a tiny bit of the green, for a pinstriped effect. I recolored the antique brass pulls to imitate copper patina and finally got a bit carried away and stenciled the drawer sides as well. I've staged the piece with antique china I bought at a tagsale and wild roses from my garden.



















6 comments:

  1. Anonymous6/11/2015

    Just stunning! Love the stencil details. Your work is an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That detail on the drawer sides is so special. I love little surprises like that. A gorgeous overall piece.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very pretty and I love the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous6/12/2015

    Beautiful! I may have to paint something yellow and green soon myself! And your stencil makes this piece shine. Marie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous6/13/2015

    I have the exact same cabinet. My parents bought it in 1938. You did an excellent job.

    ReplyDelete