Monday, November 10, 2014

An Antique Cedar Chest in Ice Blue

I hope you're in the mood to admire cedar chests because this is the first of three that I'll be showing you in the next two days. I also have a lovely family heirloom piece that I've just finished for a client (thank you for being so patient Mary!!), and a funky victorian chest that I'm re-doing for myself.

 So I picked this chest up at the flea market from, as usual, my favorite furniture guy Carl. It's in fabulous condition, as if it was never once used. I sanded, stained, and sealed the maple top, and painted the case in a fresh custom mixed blue/aqua chalk paint, then finished it with a clear wax. I kept the original drawer pulls because they were just perfect for the piece. The best part about this cedar chest is all the provenance that it comes with. It still has all the original paperwork from the day it was sold, and includes a letter from the original owner concerning the cedar chest, dated 1941. As an antiques dealer- that's just about the coolest thing ever. Now if only I could find a mid 18th century Newport Townsend highboy with a similar amount of provenance...












1 comment:

  1. Beautiful makeover. How exciting to find all the paper work belonging to this cedar chest, especially the letter from the previous owner!
    Marie@The Interior Frugalista

    ReplyDelete