Tuesday, September 8, 2015

A Mid Century Modern Bookcase

A pair of clients in New Haven approached me a few weeks ago to refinish a little three part bookcase for them. The piece had significant personal importance to their family, but had seen better days by the time it came to them. It's solid pine, and probably dates to the 1950s or 60s. It was beautifully built, and was mostly held back by the astounded number of paint jobs it had gotten through the years. I believe I counted something like six (and remember each one of those colors takes about three coats to cover). I stripped the hunks of uneven paint off with my heat gun before sanding all the surfaces smooth once more. I fully sanded, stained, and sealed the top to reveal a spectacular pine top that hadn't seen the light of day in more than half a century. The clients chose a warm playful red called 'Flamenco' for the case.






No comments:

Post a Comment