Wednesday, October 7, 2015

A Queen Anne Mahogany Highboy in Blue

For years I'd wanted to refinish a highboy, which is generally considered to be the creme de la creme of the furniture world, but I never ever saw them available for a price I could touch. And of course, because it's the way of such things, two have now all but fallen in my lap in the last month. I bought this one from a spectacular house in Haddam, Connecticut that had a killer view of the river. The highboy was dinged up and marked, but solid mahogany, and such a pretty form with those fluted quarter columns on the base, how could I resist!
        I painted the case in a recently custom mixed blue that I used last month on a vanity. It's called 'Deep End' which is an oddly ominous name, and I wonder what sort of mood I was in when I came up with it.
        I swapped out the fussy Chippendale pulls for simple turned wood ones which are fun minimalist twist on a traditional style. I'm thrilled with how it turned out!








1 comment:

  1. Love it. I really like the new rawer pulls with the blue.

    ReplyDelete