Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Antique Dresser Turned Kitchen Island

Oh you know how I love to rescue woebegone old dressers and give them a new life as a fabulous kitchen island. This has been one of my favorite rescue missions yet. This dresser was in rough shape, and the gentleman I bought it from gamely suggested it might be just perfect for the fire pit. I knew it could be saved, though.

I painted the case in a warm yellow called Roasted Sesame Seed. I added the top, and the two shelves. I swapped the old knobs out for some new brushed nickel ones, and added a matched pair of shelf supports on the back. What do you think?

*Before*

*After!*











Cross posting with:



The Dedicated House

10 comments:

  1. Very nicely done, doesn't it just give you more steam when someone says"fire pit". I've spent weeks on a piece just to prove them wrong, and been pleasantly rewarded.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cute idea -- great result.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very Nice! Wondering why you didn't paint the shelves?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I didn't paint the shelves because they are the same pine, sanded, stained, and sealed to match the island top. This makes them uber durable for wet pots and pans etc.

      Delete
  4. So very, very pretty!! Thank you for sharing. You are one of the features at The Round-Up from the Before & After Wed party at The Dedicated House. Here is the link to this week's Round-Up. http://www.thededicatedhouse.com/2014/09/the-round-up-from-before-and-after.html Hope to see you again at the bash! Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is beautiful! How did you attach the top?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think that using old dressers for an island is a wonderful idea, the only problem that I find is the back since they are never very nice in the back. Something that I have come up with is to add some pine board and paint it or leave it. Another would be to add the tin ceiling tiles to add texture.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous4/15/2016

    I've looked at all the misfits you made into kitchen islands. Just one question, is there a reason you don't put wheels on them? In my kitchen I would need to have something I could move when needed. Not a complaint, simply a question!!

    ReplyDelete