Tuesday, August 22, 2017

A Maple Stepback Cupboard in Black

Vintage furniture can be updated. Vintage furniture (and antique!) can feel very very modern. I'd argue that a well placed vintage piece is the perfect counterpoint to an sleek and modern design. No home should be cold and harsh in the name of modernity, and nothing adds soul to a space like a piece that's been loved and used for decades or centuries.
     This vintage rock maple stepback cupboard in a stellar example. The form is dated, to be sure, but the bones are good and strong, and the piece has sentimental value, originally belonging to the current owner's great grandmother. When I started working on it, I actually found a little treasure trapped beneath the faded floral drawer liners:
I texted a picture to the owner and they confirmed the handwriting belonged to their great grandmother. I'm a sucker for this stuff, and it gave me goosebumps. The little slip of paper will be going home with the hutch this weekend, a family piece, with a new lease on life.


The clients opted for a modern black, with a honey tone for the maple shelves, and a cream for the interior. Salvaged brass knobs from the ReStore add a hint of sparkle. To compliment the brass, I staged the piece with a motley assemblage of antique brass, and modern drinkware, because young and old live in perfect harmony when it comes to modern design. 





3 comments:

  1. i especially always love your black pieces!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8/23/2017

    I love this. It's so beautiful. Perfect job. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete