Monday, March 30, 2015

A Mahogany Dresser in Rose and Stripes

I won't mince words, I am head over heels for this antique dresser. I mixed the pale shade of rose a week or so ago and have been dying to use it on the right piece. I picked up this dresser on Friday and knew it would look beyond glorious in the soft hue. The dresser is early 20th century, maybe about 1920 with bandy cabriole legs and straight molded drawer lips. I wanted to give the piece a bit more sass, so I also added three cream stripes in varying widths. The turned wood knobs are stained to match the spectacular top. The entire piece is 100% solid mahogany, so finely made. I sanded, stained, and sealed the top. It's one of those tops I can't help but run my hand across every time I walk by it in my workshop. It felt so good to breath new life into this piece. It had been a bit neglected, with old chippendale drawer pulls hanging by one post for so long that they had compass etched the drawer fronts. I filled all the scratches and mars before painting, of course. There's something deliciously preppy and springy about this piece, like it's about to put on white sneakers and go play a round of tennis at the country club. :-)













Cross Posted With:


The Dedicated House

1 comment: