Tuesday, August 25, 2015

A Mahogany Queen Anne Cedar Chest

        I'm not smug about this stuff that often (or am I?! I just had a horrible thought that perhaps I'm intolerably smug. You guys would tell me, right?). I see all sorts of flaws in my work that all of you would never notice. We're all so critical of our own work. But really. This cedar chest is the bees knees. It's the cat's pajama's. It's wicked wicked wicked handsome.
 
       I bought this looker this past Sunday from one of my favorite dealers at the Mansfield Flea market. I've bought some cool stuff from him before, including the window boxes on the front and sides of my cottage, and a terrific pair of benches I refinished earlier this summer. 

        I can't take much credit for this piece. It's killer; excellent craftsmanship with a yummy scrolled apron, cabriole legs high up on big handsome pad feet, and a shell that's as sexy as woodworking detail can get. I sanded, stained, and sealed the fabulous mahogany lift top and painted the case in a new custom mixed emerald green called 'Demijohn', inspired by a big vintage demijohn in my collection. 













4 comments:

  1. Anonymous8/25/2015

    BEAUTIFUL!!! <3 <3 <3!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the green, just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. THIS IS BEAUTIFUL!!!!! I have one similar to this that was my mother in law's hope chest. I just started working on it. I plan on an off white chalk paint. I hope it turns out as good as this one!!!

    ReplyDelete